Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sleep Report

Many of you continue to ask me about Luke's sleeping habits. Thank-you. It is basically what my day revolves around. His normal night still includes waking up every 40-60 minutes, except for the last 2 nights.

I was chatting with a friend and she mentioned her niece had been to a sleep specialist who suggested trying Hyland's Calms Forte for kids. It's a homeopathic melt in your mouth pill (for growing pains, restlessness, anxiety, night terrors etc). Needless to say we went and bought some ASAP. The box says it's for kids 2 and up, but I was told for Luke I can just chop the pill in half, mix it in water or whatever & give it to him an hour before bedtime.

We were amazed. Usually he is not calm before bed, but he was! AND he slept for 3 hours straight right off the bat. Later on we had a couple of screaming sessions in the night & then I thought I had done something awful...so the next night I just drank a couple of cups of chamomile tea. My midwife said that the ladies in Mexico ritualistically drink this early evening as they say it calms their babes. Sure enough, last night he slept 3 hours in a row again.

Was it the tea? Was is the homeopathic remedy? Was it luck? Who knows. Right now I'm happy for some sort of solution as I haven't been doing the best mentally(!!)...may be a nice thing to try for long car rides with the restless little tyke if need be.

Giving thanks for 2 nights of 3 hour stretches of sleep:)



1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh Andrea, I don't know how you do it...I get so crazy when I don't get enough sleep. I've never heard of those tablets (good to know!), but I have used the Hylands teething tablets LOTS! I don't even know if they make that much difference, but since they are homeopathic, I alway felt like it was a good way to rule out teething pain rather than whipping out the Motrin. I pray that these next nights continue to bring success!