Today was one of the most stressful days of my shelter career. I was holding down the fort alone and running from crisis to crisis to crisis. As I talked to other shelter workers, they sounded run down and exhausted as well. I try to remind myself of the importance of shelters and the work I do, but it is hard to keep spirits up and believe in the justice of it all when I am thinly stretched across many people's crises. I tried to think about people like Robert Dallaire who went from extreme trauma to trauma and just kept on going. Wow! I have tremendous respect for this man and so many others that work tirelessly on behalf of non-violence. Sustaining a pace in this kind of work seems ludicrous at times but it seems needed. How does a person work to balance life when amongst crises day after day? How can those of us that work in the crisis business be healthy?
-Just wondering!

No comments:
Post a Comment