Monday, September 1, 2008

Measuring Success

(cc)
Observation#1: I often catch myself measuring my life-progress or lack there-of. Not that measuring progress is always a bad thing, but I try to keep a tight grasp on measuring myself so that I can feel in control.


Observation #2: I have been chatting with some friends who are disappointed in their "lack of success" and are frustrated that they are not "further along" in life.


Quote: Success has very little to teach us in the spiritual life, but failure and fiascoes (disaster, catastrophe, debacle, flop, bomb) are great teachers...sin is a great instructor. We learn much more from our pain than from our pleasure. We learn much more from letting go than from holding tight. (Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go)


Now, that makes a lot of sense to me as I look back over the things that have transformed me. Mainly, they were experiences that I did not welcome.


Thank-you Great Teacher for revealing Truth to us in our failures and transforming us through pain.

No comments: