Sunday, September 5, 2010

Calendula Salve & Vanilla

Vanilla Extract: Slice the vanilla bean in half
Stick vanilla beans in jar and top up with Vodka. Shake jar everyday for 4-6 weeks and voila --your very own vanilla extract!

Vanilla Body Oil: Chop up vanilla bean and fill jar with jojoba oil. Let it sit on a sunny windowsill for about a month. Done and done.

Pictured below: Calendula flowers in Amy's garden

Collect the flower heads.




Simmer in olive oil for about 20 minutes.




Add beeswax and you have a salve that is handy to put on sensitive skin, minor cuts, bruises and bites. You'll often find Calendula in soaps and moisturizers for skin that is easily irritated.




This was my favourite body recipe because we were able to grow & harvest it ourselves. I did an experiment with the salve where I only put it on the mosquito bites on Luke's left cheek (at bedtime) and sure enough, the next morning they were less inflammed than the ones on his right cheek. Since then I have used it on blistered fingers and scrapes. So far so good! Fun to know the stuff actually works.
This post is dedicated to Naomi Kroeker's fiance Tim. Tim I have never met you but thank-you for support and excitement as we try to make our own natural body products!!






2 comments:

Naomi said...

Just got home and saw your post! What a thrill....we would both love to get into this.

christal said...

looks great girls!! you are inspiring!!