The truth of the following has been impacting me lately: I am human. This means I cannot do everything. I cannot be everything to everybody. I cannot be consistent all the time. I am limited. I will disappoint you, I will hurt you. I also may encourage you and shed beauty on your life. The fact that I am human has been liberating, it lets me off the hook from being limitless & perfect.
Here are my favourite excerpts of a prayer I came across by Francis of Assisi:
I thank you Lord Jesus, for becoming a human being so I do not have to pretend or try to be a God. I thank you for becoming finite and limited so I do not have to pretend that I am infinite and limitless..I thanks you for becoming inferior so I do not have to pretend that I am superior to anyone...
I thank you for becoming weak, so I don't have to be strong. I thank you for being willing to be considered imperfect and strange, so I do not have to be perfect and normal [you mean, I can be my quirky self??]. I thank you for being willing to be disapproved of, so I do not have to try so hard to be approved of and liked.
I thank you for being considered a failure, so I do not have to give my life trying to pretend I'm a success. I thank you for being wrong by the standards of religion and state, so I do not have to be right anywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment